Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Arrangement of Bird Elements





Used yarn to create knotless net over bird pieces I had sewn. The idea of a bird in net came sideways, but can be interpreted as having freedom diminished -- which was a topic on my mind when I started knotless netting. The thought of being encumbered by something that one doesn't really want to do/be influenced by dovetailed (pun intended) into a bird being caught in a net.

The bird figure itself arose from the pervasiveness of birds in craft work. Seems that a bird is almost the poster image of craft nowadays, reminding me of painting eras of still life fruit, sailing ships on vast oceans, and portraits. So, I sketched a bird that likely couldn't fly (body too big for wings), translated into cloth, and used hooks on the elements (tail, wings, head) so that one could arrange the pieces any way they desired...to create a bird they envision with the elements provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment